Re: Daytona 200

TC
Ted Clough
Thu, Mar 16, 2023 1:41 PM

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gene Hunt Twolanefun@outlook.com
To: ducati list ducati@ducati.net
Bcc:
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 01:05:45 +0000
Subject: [Ducati] Daytona 200
No chatter on the results? - Gene

"

> > > 1. Daytona 200 (Gene Hunt) > 2. Re: Daytona 200 (Art Ramos) > > OK, I'll bite. I preference by saying I'm not a racer, and have only done > track days.... > I HATE the fact that you can be the best racer all day, have the best machine and the best pit stops, and then get beaten by the draft in the last 5 secs of the race. OK, I understand that it is a tactical finish, to get either far enough ahead to BREAK the draft, or put yourself in 2nd or 3rd, and MAKE the draft, but it ruins the race for me. That said, Herrin is a hell of a racer, so credit to him for getting it done. I know, it's Daytona, that's how every race there ends, but...... You notice, on a lot of GP tracks, the finish is shortly AFTER a fairly tight turn, not further down the straight, negating the possibility of a draft. Maybe Daytona should finish in the infield..... Back to lurking mode......Ted > > ---------- Forwarded message ---------- > From: Gene Hunt <Twolanefun@outlook.com> > To: ducati list <ducati@ducati.net> > Cc: > Bcc: > Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 01:05:45 +0000 > Subject: [Ducati] Daytona 200 > No chatter on the results? - Gene > > > " >
TP
Tony Pags
Thu, Mar 16, 2023 1:51 PM

Agree with you with one caveat.  Drafting is exciting for the crowds, and
the suspense is good for "the show".  It's not a points paying race for
those guys, so it's just bragging rights and a unique setup.

The drama all around really made this race super weird and kept me
scratching my head.  I'm no Herrin fan, but I don't think the incident was
overly aggressive.  Shame Richie didn't restart as he seemed to have Herrin
covered (but lacks the experience at Daytona for the draft strategy maybe.

I think Herrin will struggle on the Superbike as everyone has so far.
Wildcard is Beaubier coming back to the US on a BMW.  That could be very
interesting with his Moto2 experience now.
Pags

From: Gene Hunt <Twolanefun@outlook.commailto:Twolanefun@outlook.com>
To: ducati list <ducati@ducati.netmailto:ducati@ducati.net>
Bcc:
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 01:05:45 +0000
No chatter on the results? - Gene

"

I agree although I would note that on the Mile Flat Track races like the Springfield Mile it can be exactly that way with the drafting, except it can be 4 or 5 wide coming out of turn 4 and the distance to the finish line is shorter. But it's a hellva good show! Also am I correct we have had a few red flags late in moto gp race and had similar situation. Gene "I know a Few Roads" Charter Life Member American Motorcycle Association Charter Member Victory Motorcycle Club Member ducati.net Ex MSF Instructor Patriot Guard Rider 04' Victory Kingpin 16' Victory Cross Country Tour 02' Ducati Monster 900 13' Ducati Diavel 22' Royal Enfield Himalayan - Hoping to do some adventure riding. ________________________________ From: Ted Clough <ted.clough@gmail.com> Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2023 9:41 AM To: ducati@list.ducati.net <ducati@list.ducati.net> Subject: [Ducati] Re: Daytona 200 1. Daytona 200 (Gene Hunt) 2. Re: Daytona 200 (Art Ramos) OK, I'll bite. I preference by saying I'm not a racer, and have only done track days.... I HATE the fact that you can be the best racer all day, have the best machine and the best pit stops, and then get beaten by the draft in the last 5 secs of the race. OK, I understand that it is a tactical finish, to get either far enough ahead to BREAK the draft, or put yourself in 2nd or 3rd, and MAKE the draft, but it ruins the race for me. That said, Herrin is a hell of a racer, so credit to him for getting it done. I know, it's Daytona, that's how every race there ends, but...... You notice, on a lot of GP tracks, the finish is shortly AFTER a fairly tight turn, not further down the straight, negating the possibility of a draft. Maybe Daytona should finish in the infield..... Back to lurking mode......Ted ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Gene Hunt <Twolanefun@outlook.com<mailto:Twolanefun@outlook.com>> To: ducati list <ducati@ducati.net<mailto:ducati@ducati.net>> Cc: Bcc: Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 01:05:45 +0000 Subject: [Ducati] Daytona 200 No chatter on the results? - Gene "